Labor Code

San Diego County, California, Labor Code and Industrial Wage Orders Attorneys

David C. Hawkes, Esq. maintain a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of the California Labor Code in order to effectively protect employees' rights in California.


Generally, non-exempt employees are entitled to premium pay for work in excess of eight (8) hours per day or forty (40) hours per week. Not paying employees the money that they have earned is a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), California Labor code and other wage and hour laws.  In fact, even salaried employees who work overtime are entitled to premium pay under the Labor code if they have been misclassified as exempt from overtime laws.  Workers who have been misclassified as independent contractors may also be entitled to be paid for any overtime hours worked. 

Meal Periods and Exceptions

Generally, California non-exempt employees working a shift of at least five hours must receive an unpaid thirty (30) minute meal break in which they are relieved of all duties and free to leave the premises. A ten-minute rest period must also be provided to California employees for every four hour shift. While employers may try to find ways around these requirements or flat-out ignore them, David C. Hawkes, Esq. will ensure that employers are held responsible if they have violated your rights as a California employee.

Reimbursement of Employment Related Expenses

Cell phone charges, mileage, uniforms, and even travel related expenses like meals and lodging are work related expenses that employers often require of employees. If your employer has required you to incur these expenses but does not provide reimbursement, you may have a reimbursement claim against your employer under the California Labor Code and federal law.

Illegal Deductions from Wages

California and federal law allow only certain deductions from an employee's wages. If your employer has made deductions from your paycheck that you feel are unfair or illegal, the law may protect you and require that your employer return the money that was improperly deducted from you.

Contact Us

Contact David C. Hawkes, Esq. for a free and confidential consultation with an experienced lawyer to evaluate your potential employment claims.